Dry Skin Care
Dry skin is a skin type whereas dehydrated skin is a skin condition. Dry skin lacks lipids or oils in the skin and generally those with the skin type have experienced it all their lives. If you experience dry skin on various areas of your body, not just your face, this is a good indication you may have a dry skin type, not a dehydrated condition. Dry skin and dehydrated skin both experience tightness, flakiness, dull complexion and a chance of itchiness or sensitivity. Dry skin is consistent throughout the year as well, especially in drier winter months.
Characteristics of Dry Skin
- Feel dry all over the body, like on the hands, not just the face
- Lack of elasticity, especially in mature skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles are more visible
- Skin lacks the lipids that it needs to retain moisture and build a protective barrier against external factors
- Like dehydrated skin, may feel tight, flaky, and sensitive